It’s December 5th, and I’ve gotten 2 separate 5 things prompts. I thought about putting them off, but then I realized I have like 1900 Reverb11 prompts already for the month, and there are no rules about me doing more than one post a day. If there are, too bad, I’m going to kick those rules in the butt. I’ve gotten pretty used to writing 2-3k words a day now, and I’m going to exercise that ability right on into 2012.
5 Lists of 5 Things for December 5th
I was sent a prompt that gave me 5 different lists of 5 things to write about, and then sent another prompt asking for my 5 guilty pleasures. I decided I wanted the guilty pleasures but I also wanted to only have the 5 lists so that I maintain the penticode thing that I’ve got going on here. So I just replaced one of the 5 with “guilty pleasures.” It’s my blog, dang it!
1 – 5 Things You’ve Done For Yourself in 2011
- I finally broke down and bought myself a new TV. I hadn’t owned a TV for a long time, and when one of my roommates moved out, he left behind a 28″ Old School Tube Television. I decided not to pass up a Cyber Monday Sale, and got myself a nice 32″ flat screen HD TV. It’s sitting on my dresser, meaning for the first time in 10 years, I have a TV in my bedroom.
- Lost Crates – It makes me so happy when I get my little box each month. I actually squee a little, and brag to those around me how awesome I am.
- Audible Membership (affiliate link) – When I started this year, I promised myself I would read 12 books. It quickly became apparent that I wasn’t going to be able to keep that promise in a traditional way. Then in April, I learned about the membership program at Audible, and I began listening to audio books when I was driving around in the car. Now, I’m probably going to finish 13 this year, and it has left me excited. In fact, It was a good enough product that I hunted down how to become an affiliate, because I LOVE IT.
- I gave myself permission to be who I am, and to hell with what anyone else thinks about it. It took a long time for me to do that, but there were baby steps, and I’m still working on it around my mom. I started by getting rid of my “private me” twitter. Someday, maybe, I’ll have the courage to say some of the things I think of in front of my mom, but probably not. It’s a respect issue.
- I pushed myself, with the help of several others, to finally finish a project that had meaning to me. I might have to scrap 90% of what I ended up with at the end of November, but I finished it. And I bought the T-shirt to prove it.
2 – 5 Guilty Pleasures
I’m not sure I can answer this prompt effectively, because I don’t generally feel guilty about the things I enjoy, but I’m going to try to answer it with the things that I am supposed to feel guilty about, and maybe that will shed some light on who I am as a person.
- I pick my nose – No, I do. It’s gross, but I do it, often. I try to stop when I catch myself, but I don’t always catch myself doing it. It’s a pretty gross habit, but it feels so good.
- NOS Energy Drinks – I guzzle them, particularly the green kind that tastes like Sprite. They don’t even effect me as an energy drink, so really I’m just drinking a high calorie soda, but I love them. I can’t stop. I might have a problem.
- I fart on my dog – I know, I’m a horrible person. I’m also a gassy person, and she insists on laying right next to my butt on the bed. That leads me to believe that she likes being farted on. I wash my hands of the whole thing from there.
- I actively go out of my way to drive Chris insane – You would think that since he is my best friend and co-hosts of the podcast that I would be nice to him or something. I’m not. I’m horrible. That’s how our friendship works. I should point out, also, that it is his fault I think of all Mexican food as Tacos.
- Peanut Butter Cups – I can’t get enough of these things. They are like little gifts from God, each and every one of them. If I meet a person that doesn’t like peanut butter cups, I loathe them. If I find out that you don’t like them, and I don’t say anything to belittle you, then you should know that I am judging you silently, and your time will come, yes, your time will come…
3- 5 Things Holding You Back from Doing for Others
- Apathy – Sometimes I just don’t care enough to put out the extra effort for other people. I don’t like this about myself, but it’s true.
- Exhaustion – There are 24 usable hours in a day, I don’t like to spend too many of them asleep if I can avoid it. That makes me tired and irritable sometimes. Okay, often.
- Extreme Lethargy – I’m kinda lazy… like really lazy. So, sometimes, I just avoid helping out if I don’t think it’s necessary, because I just don’t want to do it at all. The need for me to help out has to be pretty big in order for me to get off my butt and do some physical labor. I should fix that about myself.
- Finances – I don’t always have the money to take care of the people around me. I love to help people out when I can, and generally money is where I give first at, you know, because of that lazy thing I was just talking about. Unfortunately, money isn’t always flowing the way I would like it to be, so I can’t always help out when I want to.
- Judgement – I will admit there are times when I pass Judgement on people and then decide if they are worthy of my aid, or if they really need it in the first place. I used to be pretty loose when I gave people money or food and things like that, and some people say I’m still too loose with it, but I’ve been taken advantage of too many times, so now, I investigate a petition for help before I grant it. My bureaucratic probably makes people suffer, but at least I can give more help to those who really need it.
4 – 5 Things You’d Like to Do For Yourself in 2012
This is a good place for a doodle:
- Actually Publish My Book – Hopefully In the first half of the year.
- Set up and Follow an Exercise program. I’m going to finish burning off my fat so I can become a super hero.
- Knock out at least 15 more things on my 30-before-30 list. I just don’t know what those are going to be yet. Probably the easiest ones. That will leave me working on less than 1 a month between Birthday 29 and Birthday 30. I can do that.
- Spend an entire weekend doing nothing. I mean nothing, just laying in bed waiting for entropy. Just so that I can remind myself how horrible it is whenever I complain I have too much going on.
- Learn to schedule important things, like naps, into my life. I think I’d be better off sleeping a couple of hours in the evening and a couple of hours in the morning than trying to put it all in at one time. Learning to Schedule is probably the most important thing I can ever do, and it just keeps eluding me.
5 – 5 Things You’d Like to Do for Others in 2012
I’d like to do more for others in general. Maybe I should think about doing something charitable. However, since I’m a horrible human being, I instead will be making a list of things I’ll be doing to others in 2012….
Just kidding, I can’t give away all the secret plans.
- I want to put together quite a few things for Eldaraenth. The list is quite large, but there are a lot of newer players that can use some gear, and I think I might be able to help them out there.
- I want to make sure that I let people know how much they mean to me, you know, before they get eaten by wild bears.
- Do my best not to ignore my friends as often. I tend to go long stretches of time without getting in touch with people and waiting for them to call me. I think I’ll try to be more proactive in my friendship this year.
- I’m going to try to be more attentive when people talk to me on the phone, instead of mumbling to myself and playing Zuma Blitz.
- I am going to be more supportive of my friends stupid ideas. Everyone wants their stupid ideas to succeed, and don’t they deserve to have a little bit of hope before the world crushes them.